velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Whitespace, redux
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:15:10 GMT
On 4/15/02 11:06 AM, "Christoph Reck" <Christoph.Reck@dlr.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ... just thinking out loud ...
>
> The #output(...) solution seems OK, but is somewhat wordy to use
> for indented/structured #if/#set/#foreach constructs. That's why
> I've placed my proposal.
>
> Geir, if you choose to use it, consider an #output() ... #end
> constuct to restore previous state (the output directive without
> parameters). I guess there will be some problem having one
> directive form that requires an #end, and another without?
> But looking at the directive name #output() w/o paramters is
> somewhat misleading... maybe we can find a better name?

I'm not 'choosing' anything.  I just see this as a deep issue that I'm not
sure any one of us can say what the definitive solution is or will be.  So I
was going to try and hack out an #output(), push into whiteboard (or leave
it on my apache.org account so people can grab it), and then keep the
discussion going.

> Also It seems strange to have the #output(false) strip text
> schmoo in between. Any use for that? Maybe it is to much magic?
>
> That is why something like #stripspaces()...#end would look nicer.
> The opposite would be #literal()...#end.
>
> Again back to my proposal for the enhancing of the whitespace
> handling rules to do what a designer expects. Geir, is there
> a reason for a no-go?

We keep going through this - am I forgetting something?  (The last few weeks
have been fairly exhausting...)

Doesn't only doing what a 'designer expects' move us further away from being
a 'clean' template engine?

System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable