velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Whitespace, redux
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:34:33 GMT
I realize I didn't answer the questions posed to me directly...

On 4/22/02 11:23 AM, "Christoph Reck" <Christoph.Reck@dlr.de> wrote:

> Daniel Dekany wrote:
>> [snip]
>> So if we would agree in it (no w.s. gobbling etc) then we could look
>> into the pluggabe preprocessor proposal, and then everybody can use
>> his/her favorite whitespace eater method. OK, a "standard"
>> preprocessor for HTML/XML is still needed, and then let it be the
>> Christoph Reck whitespace gobbler then, and implement that as a
>> preprocessor. Anybody disagree with the Christoph Reck whitespace
>> gobbler?
>
> This thread ran off limits and did not get a consensus of what the
> "proper whitespace handling" (as Geir called it) is that could be
> implemented in the parser and AST nodes. It seems that the notion of
> what "proper" is seems to diverge (nobody direclty voted +1 for my
> proposal, and some counterproposals showed up that did not get
> any quorum either).

That's understating it...

> Well, if there is a majority that wants the "whitespace handling"
> pluggable in a preprocessor, it would also solve my proposal if a
> PlainTextPreprocessor or WhitespaceGobblerPreprocessor exists that
> does my proposed handling (I offer to write it if Geir agrees to
> take it into the core jar). To bad that the preprocessor pattern
> will require its own parsing step to influence the content
> (and thus have a performance impact).

We can't even agree on what it's supposed to do. That's one problem I have.
I can see other solutions as well, but I don't want to invest too much time
if it's just going to be a different kind of wrong.

> I really do not know what was wrong with my proposed solution,
> and Daniel's "Directive+" proposal is practically the same.
> Geir ist the proposal dead or are the committers (with voting
> rights) leaning back to see if anyone else comes up with killing
> arguments of a better approach/proposal? :.(

I dunno.  Right now, the Directive+ seemed to me to just move the deck
chairs around, rather than solve it, whatever 'it' is.  I have an idea for
another kind of xformation, and if we can get some consensus on what this
should be, I'll take a wack at that...

System and Software Consulting
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
        - Walter Bagehot