velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Björn" <sp99...@student.bth.se>
Subject Re: Form upload failure
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:57:59 GMT
Do not know if this might be of any help to you...

http://www.orionsupport.com/articles/fileupload.html

It did help me once =)

/Björn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn Church" <shawn@boxity.com>
To: <velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 7:17 PM
Subject: Form upload failure

Does anyone know of any limitations or problems with Velocity 1.2 / Apache 1.3.24 / Tomcat
3.3a, relating to multipart/form-data templates containing <INPUT TYPE=FILE> ?  Specifically
in the case where I have this type of template, whose form action is to invoke a servlet which
then does nothing except return the same template (which made the request) to Velocity, I
am getting this from Apache:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:48:35 GMT Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Win32) mod_jk/1.1.0
Connection: close Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

This problem occurs if I select a file for upload, or if I do not select anything but rather
just resubmit the form a few times in rapid succession.  If I do not select a file, and submit
the form no more often than once per every couple of seconds, the problem does not occur.

Here is a test template:

<form action="/ec/servlet/upload" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
  Which file to upload? <INPUT TYPE=FILE NAME=file1> <BR>
<input type=submit>
</form>

Here's a snippet of the upload servlet, which is coded to do nothing except return the same
form which made the request:

public class upload extends VelocityServlet
{
 public Template handleRequest( HttpServletRequest _req, HttpServletResponse _res, Context
_context)
 {
  String templateName = "upload.vm";

  // return the appropriate template
  try
  {
   return getTemplate(templateName);
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {

  }

  return null;
 }

My environment is Velocity 1.2 / Apache 1.3.24 / Tomcat 3.3a, IE 6.0, running on Win2k.  If
my servlet returns a different template than the one which made the request, everything is
fine.

Shawn