velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: can method params be javascript?
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:22:13 GMT
On 7/2/02 11:11 PM, "G.L. Grobe" <gary@grobe.net> wrote:

> I didn't understand the point on moving the logic to the server side. Though
> I can see how what I had tried to do would not work because the parsing is
> on the server side. To clarify the problem, here's what it is I'm trying to
> do ...
>
> When the user goes to pageA, a <select ...> element using a velocity method
> populates the <option ...> values. Then using an onChange() from that
> <select ...> element, I'm trying to pass the <option ...> value that was
> selected and pass it into another velocity method that will filter a dbase
> query so as to populate the second <select ...> element's list box. Then do
> the same w/ a third <select ...> from the selection of the second.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

The Velocity code gets executed on the server, when the page is rendered and
sent to the client.

The Javascript, such as onChange(), is executed after the page has arrived
at the client, so at this point, all the Velocity processing is done.

Does this clear it up?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.