velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Jakarta Velocity 1.3 Released
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:33:36 GMT
On 7/8/02 10:24 AM, "Charles N. Harvey III" <charlieh@alloy.com> wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) I can see from below what Jelly is, but what about Jexl?  And where
>  would one find such products?  URL's anyone.  :)

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jexl/

Jelly is a 'product'.

Jexl is an expression engine that allows you to embed expression support in
java applications.  Think of it as Velocity-like expression syntax that you
can use.  I am trying to ensure that it's compatible with the JSTL
expression language, with extensions that we Velociteers as used to, namely
access to any public method.

   'foo.bar(thing)'

There are no $ for references, because jexl won't dictate the format of
references, allowing the freedom of implementation.

For example, Jelly uses jexl as its default expression language, with the
syntax of

  ${foo.bar}

But if you had another app, it could be $foo.bar or [foo.bar] or...

> 2) Is there a page describing all the features of the 1.3 release.
>  Things I was looking for are the url-loader and the tools.  I am assuming
>  the tools is still a subproject in CVS, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>  (Yes, I'm lazy, I want all the pieces in one jar. :)

The tools are independent, and in my opinion, we shouldn't like the
releases.  The URL loader didn't make it.  I am not sure that we should,
unless there really is interest in seeing it in core.  I would rather see
the WebappLoader get into core (and the complentary logger...), but we
should discuss.