velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Charles N. Harvey III" <charl...@alloy.com>
Subject RE: Advantages of JSP over Velocity
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:46:58 GMT
An opinion on what JSP has over Velocity that I have run into (like a brick
wall)
is that you are in complete control of the source.  With a custom tag you
create
it and you manage it.  And if it breaks or doesn't have a feature that you
want,
then you make the change.  If there is something wrong with Velocity then
you
have to wait for the next release.

This argument is a bit ridiculous since it is open source code and you can
make
any changes that you want.

The other argument is that "There is no book on Velocity".  Thing is, the
VTL
is so easy for web designers to learn that the only "book" needed is the one
web page on the site.  I personally think its much better than an enourmous
JSP book.

The third argument is that JSP is a Standard Implementation blessed by Sun.
So if
you are a standards kind of guy then JSP is your answer.  Then again,
Velocity has
a taglib so you can use it inside of JSP pages.

>From my experience and from what others have said on this list (which is of
course
slightly biased towards Velocity) is that Velocity has every JSP angle
covered and
it generally makes development easier for everyone.

The best way it to just give it a shot.  Code a few pages.  Take some time
to convert
a small application that you have.  See if you like it.  Most of the people
here are
quite certain that you will.

Charlie