velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: question about loops
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2002 21:36:57 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 17:00, Greg Frohn wrote:
> I've been using velocity for a while now, and for the most part I love
> it.  I'm wondering why are there no for/while loops for VTL?
>
> The foreach loop can be a bit limiting...especially since VTL doesn't
> seem to support break or continue.
>
> I'd love for our web developers to be able to do simple things like
> print out the first n elements in a List.  I understand that this can be
> done using range operators and get methods, but having
> while/for/break/continue seems to be much cleaner for many tasks.
>
> Just wondering what your thoughts/reasons are for not including them.

We originally cloned Webmacro and it only had a foreach so we only had a
foreach. But we also tried not to make Velocity a scripting language as
we had designers in mind (even though Velocity has been used in
everything from mailing list managers to source generators). People
asked for while/for loops long ago and occasionally ask and really we
were just trying to keep it simple.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl