velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin Baynes" <kbay...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: is there a controller servlet?
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:35:25 GMT
Marc-

It appears that you wish to use Velocity in a Web Publishing environment,
using Model/View/Controller architecture.

Velocity is a great template engine, and has been intentionally limited to
that focus. There are other projects that have done all the work of
integrating Velocity into a Web Application framework using the MVC
architecture: JPublish, Struts, Turbine, WebWork, Maverick.

I don't know your design goals, but one of these other projects may keep you
from reinventing the wheel. I'm currently studying JPublish and am quite
impressed with it. It provodes the controller you need, with good separation
of content and view, and the ability to use JPython or JavaScript (or
others) to script your Java objects allows you to write logic without having
to recompile Servlets. It uses Velocity to generates its views.

Jpublish - www.jpublish.org

Kevin Baynes
Software Engineer
SEAGULL Software