velocity-user mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: [SECURITY] Apache Tomcat 4.x JSP source disclosure vulnerability
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:38:16 GMT
I have promised not to use Tomcat-Dev for this, so I'm answering
privately and I'm sending a CC to Velocity-User list, where it belongs.

Nobody is treating users as stupid. Where are you getting the ideas
about me treating anyone as stupid from? I know it's hard for you to
understand because you're a brilliant programmer, but there a people out
there that can do great things with the look of the site, but
programming is not their thing - they are not stupid because of that.
And those people are web designers. IMHO, they play a very important
role in shaping a web application. If it doesn't look good, clients
won't like it.

However, they cannot be expected to understand a programming language of
Java's complexity. That's the job for the programmers.

Velocity is not taking away any power from anyone. It is just placing it
in the correct place. In the controller and model, where it should be.
I, for one, am sometimes both the web designer (and pretty poor at it
too) of some of my clients sites and the programmer. None of the power
of Java is out of my reach. As I said, it's sitting in the controller
and the model.

I don't feel I have to convert anyone to anything. But, when people ask
direct questions, I give them direct answers. And that is - JSP are
simply a bad idea. This doesn't mean you can't write great applications
with them - quite the contrary. If you know what you're doing, you can
write great web applications in assembler, if you don't mind vomiting a
lot ;-)

Bojan