velocity-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Sidler <sid...@teamup.com>
Subject Re: Experiences made by porting a JSP based application to Velocity (with Struts and Tomcat)
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:19:40 GMT
Regarding your documentation issue, see below.

Tom Bednarz wrote:

> Issues - things to be improved:
> =====================
>
> One problem with Velocity is documentation. Of course you can generate
> JavaDocs out of your business logic classes. But how can you tell a Web
> Designer, which objects are available where (in which context). The only
> method I currently know is to write a HTML index page with some explanations
> yourself (manually). Some improvment here would be helpful.

This a very good point and is 100% consistent with my own experience. The
difficulty to communicate the content of the Velocity context among
software developers and designers is the biggest practical difficulty in
using Velocity, IMHO. Of course, this problem is not a Velocity problem only.
JSP and other templates languages suffer from the same difficulty.
Nevertheless, I would welcome very much an attempt to address this problem
within the Velocity community. A possible approach could be a view tool that
allows one to inspect the context.

Is this a problem for others, too and how are others dealing with it?

Gabe

--
Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland