velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Charles N. Harvey III" <charl...@alloy.com>
Subject RE: 1 xml file to many
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:23:53 GMT

> > I am now a firm +1 for DVSL.  I have gotten it to work with no actual
> > java coding on my part.  Gotta like a tool where I don't actually have
> > to write any code.  The only code I needed was posted to the list and
> > Bill had given me the link - thanks for that by the way.
> >
> > I have a question though.  I am transforming from one xml file to other
> > xml files so I do not want any of the text "un-xmled".  The current xml
> > has:
> > &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbspSome Text&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
> >
> > and it is being converted to:
> >
> > And I do NOT want it to do that.  I want the text to be left in its
> > original format.  Is this possible?  Can I turn off the switch which is
> > converting the text?
>
> There's no DVSL switch.  The problem is that you are escaping the
entities.

> If you do something like :
>

>  <foo><![CDATA[&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbspSome Text&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;]]></foo>
>
> That should solve it.  I am assuming much here, but I think this is what
you
> want...

Argh.  My initial xml file is huge.  And the format that it came in does not
have
all the fields wrapped in <![CDATA[ ]]> tags.  I tried out a small sample of
the
data and put the tags in and it worked as expected.  I might be up a creek
without
a paddle on this one without a massive search and replace on that file.

One more question...

$variable.toString.substring(0,5)	-	works!
$variable.toString.replace('a','b')	-	does not.  And I cannot figure out
why.

I keep getting "is not a valid reference" in the output.  I can do every
operation
on a string except replace?  Is there something I don't know.  I've been
killing
myself over this for two hours now.  :)

Thanks again.

Charlie