velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: comparing monetary value
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:19:43 GMT
Wednesday, October 16, 2002, 9:44:17 AM, Martin Jacobson wrote:

> STham@thoughtworks.COM wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>>    I believed at the moment, all numbers are treated as Integer. Anyone
>> came across this problem of manipulating with money value before?
>>
>> Example :
>>
>>   Give a certain amount has to be less than a given value.
>>
>>    if ($someMoneyValue < 0.01) ???
>>
>> How do people normally handle money in velocity?? Thanks.
>>

> This thread, for all the heat it is generating, surely revolves around
> the separation between business logic, and presentation. If you think
> that a rigorous separation is a Good Thing, then there seems, on the
> present evidence, to be no requirement for Velocity to handle any
> numerical values other than integers. If, on the other hand, you want to
> be able to manipulate, eg, monetary values in the template, then
> 'vanilla' Velocity won't work for you.

I guess we have already seen that sometimes you need decimal values in
representation tasks (money...). The list-readers who don't want
decimals also admit this when they show workarounds like valueInCents.
Why is it better to force designers (and programmers) to play with
$valueInCents+tools, than simply providing decimal support? Why is it
less error prone and nicer to complicate things with those multiplied
values (force designers to always keep in mind, that what is 10.25 in
real-world, is 1025 here...), than simply use decimals? Does it make
sense?