velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <revu...@wanadoo.es>
Subject Re: What's in the future for Velocity?
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:38:37 GMT
On Thursday 10 October 2002 09:59 am, Paul Smith wrote:
> Actually I've just thought of the one thing that does bug me, and I know
> has bugged others (wasn't paying attention to the previous threads but I
> remember there being a large # of posts about it) and that is:
>
> White space gobbling (or lack there of).

It seems there always is a lot of issue with whitespace gobbling in template
engines. With FreeMarker, we've tried to have some clarity about how to deal
with this. Certainly, since this document has been part of our documentation,

http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/docs/dgui_misc_whitespace.html

we have not received much feedback (complaints etcetera) about whitespace
issues.

> We need something like what VB has when breaking a string over multiple
> lines ( &_ ).  Something that says to velocity "now, I _know_ there is a
> CR/LF following this, but just ignore it ok!"

Yeah, as you see in the doc, there is no issue with spanning things in
multiple lines in FM. Well, I guess this is also due to FM's tag syntax,
which makes it quite clear where a directive ends. For example, a multi-line
directive such as:

<assign foo= "This
is a string
with line breaks">

is perfectly okay in FM and always has been IIRC.

Well, anyway, this could be useful information for somebody out there... :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Revusky
--
FreeMarker-Velocity comparison doc