velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: comparing monetary value
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:10:20 GMT
Tuesday, October 15, 2002, 5:41:25 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

[snip]
> On 10/15/02 11:20 AM, "Tim Colson" <tcolson@cisco.com> wrote:
>> My alternative: iterate over the rows in the controller, do the logical
>> comparison and set a meta-data boolean into each row: $IS_INSIGNIFICANT.
>>
>> The Designer then only has to use: #if ($IS_INSIGNIFICANT)
>> background="grey" #end
>>
>> I find that: #if ($CONDITION) #end is far easier for a Designer to
>> write, and constitutes about 90% of their conditions anyway. :-)

>> contamination, but with a bit more work from Developers.
>
> Yes - that is the pure approach, and I think the best one if you are willing
> to take the time to do it right (while the rest of us do it over...).  Glad
> to know that it works - it was always a theory to me :)

I have the feeling that the real reason behind not supporting decimals
is that the developers felt that it would be too hard or too many time
to add that... you know, that big always-buggy Java source code, it is
better if you don't touch that. So they have figured out a lot of
"scientific" objection instead. And now, even if some of the smart
users send a patch, they will not accept that, because they have to
adhere to this spurious academic viewpoint: "Decimals in templates are
bad!". They have said it so much, that probably now they really
believe it; ditto for many list readers who has heard this for too
many times. Also, since Velocity is inside apache.org, users (list
readers) are inclined to give more credit to Velocity and Velocity
developers. So it is hard to archive any improvements here.

And the above also stands for other issues, like the good-old
whitespace gobbling. Just my opinion...