velocity-user mailing list archives

From Martin Jacobson <marti...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Velocity Vs JavaScript
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:15:29 GMT
RXZ JLo wrote:

>>>From my first look at Velocity, it seems to follow
> EcmaScript style - you predefine objects, with the
> properties accessible via get/set methods.
>
> Why not just use JavaScript instead?
>
> thanks,
> rf

It wasn't clear from my look at Rhino that it was capable of doing what
Velocity does - and does very well!
What does Velocity do for me? It means that I don't have to write JSPs,
while separating the View from the Model & Controller in a clean and
efficient way. To generate an HTML page, I simply populate the Velocity
Context with the data I need, and tell Velocity to merge the context
with the template. The template is just HTML with embedded Velocity
commands that can reference the data in the context (amongst other things).

Does Rhino do that?

I'm not anti-JavaScript - I use it client-side a lot - but I don't see
how it would do what Velocity does.

Martin.