velocity-user mailing list archives

From Martin Jacobson <marti...@libero.it>
Subject Re: comparing monetary value
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:44:17 GMT
STham@thoughtworks.COM wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I believed at the moment, all numbers are treated as Integer. Anyone
> came across this problem of manipulating with money value before?
>
> Example :
>
>   Give a certain amount has to be less than a given value.
>
>    if ($someMoneyValue < 0.01) ???
>
> How do people normally handle money in velocity?? Thanks.

This thread, for all the heat it is generating, surely revolves around
the separation between business logic, and presentation. If you think
that a rigorous separation is a Good Thing, then there seems, on the
present evidence, to be no requirement for Velocity to handle any
numerical values other than integers. If, on the other hand, you want to
be able to manipulate, eg, monetary values in the template, then
'vanilla' Velocity won't work for you.

My preference is for rigorous separation - but I can think of
circumstances where the 'quick hack' option of putting calculations, and
numerical comparisons in the presentation layer might make sense. (But
then, I'd use JSPs, to save myself learning Yet Another Programming
Language!)

Just my $0.02

Martin