velocity-user mailing list archives

From Kent Johnson <kejohn...@skillsoft.com>
Subject EventCartridge questions
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:06:19 GMT
Hello,

I am using a ReferenceInsertionEventHandler and finding some
unexpected behavior. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

- The reference argument passed to referenceFilter() includes the $
and {} used in the template. So in the filter I have to check for
"$floobie" and "${floobie}" if I want to special case the handling
for $floobie. This differs from EventExample.java which just looks
for "floobie" (and doesn't work).

- The ReferenceInsertionEventHandler is called from a statement like
#set ($floobie = "$floobie and $gobble")

I guess that internally the quoted string is parsed like a template
and output to a stream, so the ReferenceInsertionEventHandler is
called. I found this behavior surprising. If it is correct I suggest
a clarification in the docs, which now state "A
ReferenceInsertionEventHandler allows the developer to intercept each
write of a reference ($foo) value to the output stream".

The reason I care about this second item is, I am building a string
in a reference by concatenating. My ReferenceInsertionEventHandler is
substituting XML entity escapes for <>&"' . Since the concatenation
triggers the event handler, the characters get escaped multiple
times. Not good!

My workaround was to create a special variable to concatenate into
which is not processed by the event handler. Which is how I found the
first problem...

A better solution for me would be a string concatenation operator, or
not firing the EventCartridge from a #set directive.

Thanks,
Kent