velocity-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Riek <stephenr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Performance of Separate Instance vs Singleton ?
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:26:13 GMT

I may be misunderstanding the Velocity architecture. When
used as a singleton in a website where almost all pages/requests
use Velocity templates, would the Velocity engine then become
the limiting factor or bottleneck since there may be many
simultaneous requests but only one Velocity Engine to handle
them ?
The Separate Instance docs state that "New in version 1.2, the
separate instance allows you to create, configure and use as
many instances of Velocity as you wish in the same JVM (or web
application.) "  This means that I could create, say, 10 Velocity
engines, but how do I direct the servlets to share these in
much the same was as a database connection pool will be shared
between several threads ?
Thank you very much,
Stephen