velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Default to quiet references
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:03:21 GMT
This is bordering on the undesired feature that you can't tell what the
syntax means from looking at the code.

Some feel (I'm 50/50) that if you see $!foo, that it should do one
thing, not be controlled by some outside switch.  I know that this is
inconsistent with some of the features of velocity

geir

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 04:10 PM, Philip Jenvey wrote:

> On Mon Nov 4, 2002  5:00:26 AM, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> > Andy Lee wrote:
> > I know you're asking about adding a configuration option to the
> > language, but have you considered using a macro?  Something like:
> >
> > $foo          ## never quiet
> > $!foo         ## always quiet
> > #qu( $foo )   ## quiet iff $forceQuiet is true
> > #qu( $!foo )  ## doesn't make sense to use
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really just trying to keep it easy
> > for the users.  I think $!foo would be easier than #qu( $foo ), so
> > assuming it's not possible now, I'll go hack something myself and
> submit
> > a patch if desired.
> >
> > --
> > Serge Knystautas
> > Loki Technologies - Unstoppable Websites
> > http://www.lokitech.com
>
> Serge, this is a feature I've wanted, and I've been tempted to hack it
> myself. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss it, or if you have
> something already.
>
> --
> Philip Jenvey

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)
geirm@adeptra.com