velocity-user mailing list archives

From Christoph.R...@dlr.de
Subject Re: Contexts and Profiling
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:45:48 GMT
I have created a context dump tool. See attachment.
I use a layout approach like turbine and the layout template does:

#if( $debug )
   #parse( "dump.vm" )
#end

The debug flag is passed in as a query parameter and then cached in the
session attributes. This way I just have to switch on debugging and see
the dump attached to every page:
## ------------------------------------------------------------------------
## Decode dubug flag state
## ------------------------------------------------------------------------
## and save debug flag in session (not in the query string)
## get the debug flag state from the session (false is the default)
#set( $debug = false )
#set( $debug = $!app.get("debug") )
#if( !$debug )
   #set( $debug = false )
#end
## overlay the debug flag with possible value from the QueryString
#set( $debug = $parameters.getBoolean("debug", $debug) )
## promote the state into the session
#call( $app.put("debug", $debug) )
##

This has worked nice for me. Some improvements are possile:
* Add a #context directive to put the current context into the context
   for dumping
* Add additional flags to tell the dumper to dump a specific object
   content or its API.
* Output other formats... (I got a version for plain text)

Cheers,
Christoph