velocity-user mailing list archives

From David You <David....@hds.com>
Subject RE: Performance tuning/improvements
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:36:30 GMT
Use Java 1.4, the Reflection is supposed to be 50 times more faster?
Anyway, I think most time your program spend are probably on the network to
get the emails from the email server.

David

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 12:50 PM
To: velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Performance tuning/improvements

Hi,

I am planning to deploy Velocity(v1.3) in a stand-alone Java application to
process email templates.
A little benchmark test of my own shows that Velocity(with caching enabled)
outperforms the existing homegrown solution.

1) Since the number of emails to be processed are in thousands/hour, was
wondering if there is any scope for performance improvments ?

2) Especially w.r.t reflection, can something be done if the type of the
objects in the context is known and fixed for a given template ?

3) Any precautions that I need to take w.r.t memory usage ?

thanks
Ramesh