velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: "Class not found" and logging
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:10:23 GMT

On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 09:52 AM, Yura Ushakhow wrote:

> Hi. For hours I can't figure what is wrong here...
>
> I have a VelocityServlet which is similar to the 2nd example. Trying
> to run it, Tomcat says:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Error initializing Velocity:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org/apache/velocity/runtime/log/AvalonLogSystem,org/apache/velocity/
> runtime/log/SimpleLog4JLogSystem
> 	at
> org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.initVelocity(VelocityServle
> t.java:236)
> 	at
> org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.init(VelocityServlet.java:1
> 98)
>
> ...and so on.

Easy - we produce two jars in our distro, one with "-deps"  in the
filename, and one w/o.  The README notes that the one w/o requires you
to include the dependencies when you deploy velocity, and the one w/ is
for lazy people (like me) who are happy w/ what comes in Velocity and
don't need to avoid clashing with over versions of the same packages.

We include the versions of the code in the -dep jar in the build/lib
directory if you just want to drop the dependencies into your
webapp/classpath.

geir

> Velocity version is 1.3.1-rc2, Tomcat 4.1.12, J2SE 1.4.0_02.
> web.xml has this entry:
>   <init-param>
>       <param-name>properties</param-name>
>       <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
>   </init-param>
>
> and velocity.properties has this:
> file.resource.loader.path = /WEB-INF/templates
> runtime.log = /WEB-INF/velocity.log
>
> Any tips..?

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Geir Magnusson Jr