velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Performance tuning/improvements
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:24:51 GMT

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 03:49 PM, Mailing Lists Account
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to deploy Velocity(v1.3) in a stand-alone Java
> application to
> process email templates.
> A little benchmark test of my own shows that Velocity(with caching
> enabled)
> outperforms the existing homegrown solution.
>
> 1) Since the number of emails to be processed are in thousands/hour,
> was
> wondering if there is any scope for performance improvments ?
>
> 2) Especially w.r.t reflection, can something be done if the type of
> the
> objects in the context is known and fixed for a given template ?

Yes - if you reuse the VelocityContext, it will cache reflection info,
which should help enormously.

> 3) Any precautions that I need to take w.r.t memory usage ?
>

> thanks
> Ramesh

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)
geirm@adeptra.com