velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: "Class not found" and logging
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:50:19 GMT

On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 01:38 AM, Yura Ushakhow wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Thanks for your answer. I suspect this might be not my case. For test,
> placed all build/lib/*jar files into my WEB-INF/lib/ (except commons
> and servlet), without visible result.

You are right - I didn't look closely enough at the error.

> What worries me is the error message:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org/apache/velocity/runtime/log/AvalonLogSystem,
> org/apache/velocity/runtime/log/SimpleLog4JLogSystem
>
> It cannot find org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.* , and looking
> inside the velocity*jar file, those classes are there.
>
> I've also been told by somebody that the error may be in some
> mysterious "properties" files, where those two classes are listed with
> comma, which is pure syntactical error.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot find where or what it might be. :(

Yes - in recent versions of Velocity - I don't remember when it showed
up - we let velocity automatically find either logkit or log4j to be
the logger.  In the default properties file, contained in the vel jar,
we define the property runtime.log.logsystem.class to be o.a.v.r.lALS,
o.a.v.r.SL4JLS, so then Velocity will try one, then the other.

It almost sounds like you have a velocity jar with that default
properties file, but the code that's executing is older, and doesn't
know what to do with the comma-separated value.

Or the version of collections doesn't know how to deal with the comma,
which I doubt, as collections has done that for a long time.

Can you start clean - use only the latest v1.3-rc2, remove all jars
from WEB-INF/lib that you put in from build/lib, and just use the -dep
jar from the 1.3-rc2 disto?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr
203-355-2219(w)