velocity-user mailing list archives

From rgrieselhu...@teamsol.com
Subject Re: Must Restart Server??
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:12:51 GMT
<quote>
1. Modify a hello world servlet running in the same web app directory,
   using only println(), and have it restart properly and show the
   changes through your web browser, without using velocity at all?

2. Modify a velocity template, and hit reload on your browser, and see
   the change, without modifying your servlet Java code (for any
   velocity servlet)?

3. What release of WebSphere are you using?  What version of Java with it?

4. Are you experienced with the WebSphere configuration options for
   servlet container behavior?  There are some that may be related to
   this.  Alternatively did someone else set it up for you, whom you
   could ask questions of?
</quote>

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. WebSphere 4.03 (Inside WSAD), JDK 1.3+
4. Yes, I set this up myself.

So it sounds like there is nothing in Velocity that would force this type
of behavior. It's strange because inside Velocity is the only place I have
seen it.

Thanks,
Ray

Jenny Brown <jenny@bigbrother.net>
11/04/2002 03:08 PM
Please respond to "Velocity Users List"

        cc:     (bcc: Ray Grieselhuber/Teamwork)
        Subject:        Re: Must Restart Server??

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 rgrieselhuber@teamsol.com wrote:

> I have everything under my web app directory (I'm running WebSphere).
But
> it still seems like something is not refreshing properly when I modify
my
> Servlet, because I have to restart the entire web server every time I
> modify my Servlet. Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Ray

Not to belabor the simple, but can you:

1. Modify a hello world servlet running in the same web app directory,
   using only println(), and have it restart properly and show the
   changes through your web browser, without using velocity at all?

2. Modify a velocity template, and hit reload on your browser, and see
   the change, without modifying your servlet Java code (for any
   velocity servlet)?

3. What release of WebSphere are you using?  What version of Java with it?

4. Are you experienced with the WebSphere configuration options for
   servlet container behavior?  There are some that may be related to
   this.  Alternatively did someone else set it up for you, whom you
   could ask questions of?

There are caching options in many web servers, and I'm certain in
WebSphere, that allow you to choose to not automatically reload on
changes.  That might have gotten turned on accidentally.  Also, in some
web servers (I don't know about WebSphere on this one), if you change a
supporting class file, but not the servlet file itself, it will not
automatically reload.  You have to recompile the servlet class itself to
trigger an automatic reload.

My questions are intended to help narrow the options for under what
conditions you receive odd behavior from it... and hopefully help
pinpoint what may be causing it.

Jenny Brown