velocity-user mailing list archives

From Hanasaki JiJi <hanas...@hanaden.com>
Subject Re: questions on RunTime Singleton
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:11:16 GMT
I had thought there were issues with the same application running on
multiple servers using singletons becuase each server has its own JVM
yet a singleton can only exist in one JVM.
???

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:26 AM, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
>
>> Going through the Velocity API's and example code, there are several
>> references to RuntimeSingleton.
>>
>> Is this class an issue for clustered/loadBalanced servers running
>> velocity applications?  If so, how how can the this be addressed?
>

> ?
>
> I don't understand the question.  If you are doing load balancing, and
> want to keep a users state in a session, then it doesn't matter if you
> use the singlton or not - you have to take care of the problem with
> either a shared store for state info, or a balancer that keeps sessions
> sticky.
>
> The singleton just means that in a given JVM (or a webapp) all users of
> it share the same instance, and thus the same configuration.  You may
> find this useful (to share cached templates) or not (if you want
> different configurations of the velocity engine at the same time...)

= Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the     =
=       right things.    - Peter Drucker                        =