velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Bill Kaufman" <BKauf...@zaplet.com>
Subject RE: hash map or equivalent possible
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:22:26 GMT
(One amendment: the file might not be called "toolbox.xml".  That's specified in WEB-INF/web.xml,
under a parameter named "toolbox".  I suspect most people name it "toolbox.xml" anyway, but
if you can't find it by that name, look in web.xml.)

As long as the code they're using derives from VelocityViewServlet, you should be able to
extract toolbox.xml from their WAR file (using "jar -xf" or WinZip), make the changes I described,
and put toolbox.xml and the Java class file back into the WAR file (using "jar -uf").

If they're not using VelocityViewServlet, well, they really should have given you some way
to extend the system, and I'd kvetch to them about it.

If you're not sure whether or not they're using VelocityViewServlet, you'd need to:

    1) look at their WEB-INF/web.xml to find out their servlet class(es) (in the <servlet-class>
tag(s));
    2) add the WAR file to your CLASSPATH variable; and,
    3) do "javap" on each of the servlet classes to see whether they subclass from VelocityViewServlet.

(Yeah, there really ought to be an easier way,...)

                                                      -- Bill K.