velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: questions on RunTime Singleton
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:07:59 GMT

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 10:26 AM, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> Going through the Velocity API's and example code, there are several
> references to RuntimeSingleton.
>
> Is this class an issue for clustered/loadBalanced servers running
> velocity applications?  If so, how how can the this be addressed?

?

I don't understand the question.  If you are doing load balancing, and
want to keep a users state in a session, then it doesn't matter if you
use the singlton or not - you have to take care of the problem with
either a shared store for state info, or a balancer that keeps sessions
sticky.

The singleton just means that in a given JVM (or a webapp) all users of
it share the same instance, and thus the same configuration.  You may
find this useful (to share cached templates) or not (if you want
different configurations of the velocity engine at the same time...)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)