velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <knut.wannhe...@paranor.ch>
Subject RE: escaping colon character in references
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:04:09 GMT

> Wannheden, Knut wrote:
> > OTOH I think it would be nice if Velocity treated a ${x:y}
> the same way as
> > an undefined reference.  I.e. leave as is.  But that would
> probably not be a
> > good idea for a lot of other reasons...
>
> This sounds like a bug as Velocity should ignore any
> references it can't
> evaluate.

The problem is that a ParseErrorException is thrown as Velocity doesn't
allow colon characters in identifiers.  But I guess the point is arguable.
Is ${foo} a reference if the variable "foo" isn't defined in the context?
It isn't treated like one, as it results in the text "${foo}".  So how about
${x:y} then?

--
knut