velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nat...@esha.com>
Subject Re: #parse() directive
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:00:08 GMT
dhaval.h.udani said:
> I have some doubts about the #parse() directive. I believe that apart
> from a filename even a Velocity variable can be given here. However it
> seems that the variable must refer to a template file which can be found
> via the ResourceManager mechanism. However in my case, the variable
> actally refers to a string containing VTL. I need this VTL to be parsed
> sign the context I supplied. i.e. instead of using the ResourceManager
> to lcoate a template file, I am giving the contents of the template
> which need to be parsed.

you are mistaking the purpose of the #parse directive.  what you need is a
tool such as Simon suggests.  try:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-velocity-tools/src/java/org/apache/vel
ocity/tools/generic/RenderTool.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-ma
rkup

or if you are using Velocity-Tools, use

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-velocity-tools/src/java/org/apache/vel
ocity/tools/view/tools/ViewRenderTool.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.vie
wcvs-markup

for greater convenience.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com