velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Tom Marsh" <mars...@nitesco.com>
Subject Re: This question has "first major web app" written all over it.
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:06:46 GMT
After reading the article and the linked-to article 'Pros and Cons of
Session Variables' it seems different (they're equating it with
cookies) than what's being done in the velocity context. Is my
interpretation correct? Are they talking about apples v.s. oranges?

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, John Ike wrote:
>
> > If that is the case, then this link makes me concerned
> > http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/faq/Advanced/faq4.shtml about
> > scalability.
>
> Huh, seems like a weird story to me :). Just use session when you
need
> session persistence and use request or similar for building the pages.
>
> > information) into each HttpSession so that I could display it.  I
> > believe that information would be serialized.   Without doing that
> > processing totally confined within a servlet template merge, is
there
> > any way to get information to the velocity (*.vm) pages without
large
> > object serialization, etc?  I want to just be able to display the
> > information or place it in form variables, but not store it in the
> > session and have it serialized.
>
> Are you using the velocity-struts package? If you use struts also,
use
> that. And if not, take the velocityviewservlet or whatever it was
named
> and use that. It's in the tools project and maybe it was part of the
> velocity-struts too. I forget. I'm sure someone will clarify that.
>
> Anyway, it will provide you with automatic variable lookup from
> request, session, etc. This way you can put your data for web pages
into
> the request, which gets cleaned after each page is built. And is
> generally never serialized.
>
> And if you dont, there is no need to put your data into session for
> building the templates. Just put it into the velocity context. Or a
place
> where the context you are using can access it.

NeoMail - Webmail that doesn't suck... as much.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net