velocity-user mailing list archives

From Pete Kazmier <p...@kazmier.com>
Subject Re: Texen or dvsl
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 05:04:01 GMT
Warner Onstine <sw-list@warneronstine.com> writes:

> 1) DVSL is a separate project from Velocity, can I use DVSL stuff in
>    a standard Velocity Template?

DVSL is an alternative to XSLT for transforming XML.  You don't use
DVSL "stuff" in a standard Velocity template; however, you do use
Velocity "stuff" in a DVSL template.

> 2) Is it possible to tell the current Velocity jelly tag to go ahead
>    and use DVSL?

The Velocity Jelly taglib does not use DVSL, nor was it designed to
perform XML transformations.  The taglib simply merges a Jelly context
with a valid Velocity template to produce some output.  If you want to
use DVSL for XML transformations, then you can use the Ant DVSL tasks
to do so.

> 3) Is this even wanted? Or maybe I should use the current Velocity
>    jelly tag as a base and create a DVSL jelly tag?

There is no need to create a DVSL Jelly tag as you simply use the Ant
DVSL tasks already defined.  Please refer to the DVSL docs for more
info on this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/ant_task_reference.html

Lets go back to your original question:

> I am getting ready to write a PHP code generation tool and have been
> trying to decide what to use, Texen or DVSL.  This tool will generate
> PHP classes and some generic forms and action handlers, based on xml
> configuration files. So, which tool is the best to use in this
> situation.

If everything you need to generate the PHP classes and forms is
contained in that one XML configuration file, then you could use DVSL
or any other XML transformation tool (XSLT, JSL).  However, if want to
generate these files based on information from other sources (multiple
XML files, properties files, databases, etc) then I would suggest
using Jelly and the Velocity taglib.  Why?  Jelly makes it very easy
to populate its context with information from any of these sources,
and it can all be done without writing any Java (if you want).  Worst
case, even if you don't use any of these other sources, its still a no
brainer to load this XML configuration file into a Jelly context using
the Jelly xml taglib.

Thanks,
Pete