velocity-user mailing list archives

From Teemu Kanstrén <t...@mail.student.oulu.fi>
Subject Re: This question has "first major web app" written all over it.
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:22:09 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, John Ike wrote:

> If that is the case, then this link makes me concerned
> http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/faq/Advanced/faq4.shtml about
> scalability.

Huh, seems like a weird story to me :). Just use session when you need
session persistence and use request or similar for building the pages.

> information) into each HttpSession so that I could display it.  I
> believe that information would be serialized.   Without doing that
> processing totally confined within a servlet template merge, is there
> any way to get information to the velocity (*.vm) pages without large
> object serialization, etc?  I want to just be able to display the
> information or place it in form variables, but not store it in the
> session and have it serialized.

Are you using the velocity-struts package? If you use struts also, use
that. And if not, take the velocityviewservlet or whatever it was named
and use that. It's in the tools project and maybe it was part of the
velocity-struts too. I forget. I'm sure someone will clarify that.

Anyway, it will provide you with automatic variable lookup from
request, session, etc. This way you can put your data for web pages into
the request, which gets cleaned after each page is built. And is
generally never serialized.

And if you dont, there is no need to put your data into session for
building the templates. Just put it into the velocity context. Or a place
where the context you are using can access it.