velocity-user mailing list archives

From John Ike <jeich...@optonline.net>
Subject This question has "first major web app" written all over it.
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:45:38 GMT

Hey all.   My second post here.  I am a somewhat experienced Java
developer, but not a web programmer until now and I am managing to get
myself all befuddled.

I have a few questions if you have time to take a peek.  I have been
looking for days but can't seem to find the right resources that say:
"This is the way to do it."

I am creating a Job site where I require logon/logoff/edit profile/add
new services/large querie results to pages.

------  Problem 1  ------

I have spent so much time trying to figure out the best way to pass
around member related information.   For some reason I seem to lose my
session and I am having a hard time understanding why.

I follow this chain:
            Welcome.do  --> Welcome.vm --> Logon.vm --> Logon.do
                    --> Welcome.do --> Welcome.vm
                    --> EditMember.vm --> EditMember.do

I appear to have the Member record stored in session after the logon
and all the way through to the EditMember.vm as information appears
there (unless I refresh at which point it all disappears -- why I
don't know).   When I head to the Member.do, the session information
is totally clear.

In the *.vm and the Actions, I am using only setForward/setActions and
no redirects.   Session, however, is gone.

I feel like I must be doing something stupid, but ....

------- Problem 2 ------

This inability to get session working made me hunt for the last couple
days for an answer.   In great part I spent the time learning.

In my lookings, I came to this:
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/faq/Advanced/faq4.shtml

This made me concerned that perhaps I am going about my work the wrong
way today.   Maybe Sessions are not the right means as they may not
allow for scalability.  Concern is of course for need of great amounts
of garbage collection and also need to serialize records.  The artical
seems to feel that URL rewriting is the only way (which means perhaps
also the only way is need for backend database caching mechanism).

In my first run at my site, I was placing a large ArrayList of job
listings into the session as I could not think of a better way to get
job listings in there in a pluggable kinda way.   Some of the job
listings would be common to all users and some would be specific
queries to individual users.  Thinking about doing this for every user
sounds like a massive serialization and memory risk.

Can you give me your thoughts on this and what you think I ought to do
in consideration for scalability?   Remember I am a newbie in this
region and am learning on my own about this all.  How big of a problem
is utilizing Session flagrantly and how would Velocity handle non-use
of Session?   Random ideas and thoughts are great, just no throwing
stuff at this newbie.

------  Problem 3 ------

I am trying to manage authentication/session.  There are so many

Do you have any links that can point me in the right directions for
answers using Velocity/Struts/Tomcat or have any code I can look at
that handles these concerns?

 I need to stop guessing about a way that takes into consideration
scalability, session, authentication.   I am capable, but without a
tiny push in the right direction, a bit overloaded.

I have looked at all the velocity and struts examples, but in general
they are more snippets.   Very useful snippets at that, but not taking
into consideration many of my concerns.

I know this is a lot, but thank you for your help.

John Ike