velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Tim Colson" <tcol...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Re: ResourceManager : unable to find resource ...
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 20:02:41 GMT
Otis -
 From reading the latest example, I think there is some confusion on how
the struts and velocity stuff plays together.

> Is VVS not supposed to be used the same way
> StrutsActionServlet is used?

Correct. It is not. The VelocityViewServlet replaces the JSP portion
only.

Have a look at the diagram here:
http://www.happysearch.com/velocity/tools/docs/struts/

See how the struts stuff stays the same, the only difference is when it
comes time to render the View. In other words, the Struts servlet
handles the action *.do and when it's comleted, hands the request off to
a JSP (in the mapping file).

But we want to use Velocity, not JSP. So instead of handing off to a
*.jsp, we map the result to a *.vm.

Then we need something to process that *.vm -> and that's where the
VelocityViewServlet and VelocityLayoutServlet come to play. They are
mapped to handle all *.vm files.

The Velocity-Struts library (in the tools project) just helps to make
the struts stuff available to the Velocity template engine.

I suggest using the installation instructions here for the ViewServlet:
http://www.happysearch.com/velocity/tools/docs/view/

And then follow the instructions here:
http://www.happysearch.com/velocity/tools/docs/struts/userguide.html#Ins
tallation

Unfortunately, there may be some bugs in the docs - so ask questions as
you go, and we can fix the docs to make things more clear!

Hope this helps!
Tim