velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Bubna" <nat...@esha.com>
Subject Re: Save a variable across templates
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 18:25:12 GMT
Tara.Gilley said:
> I am very new to velocity.  Is it somehow possible to save a
variable I
> create in /templates/vm/controls/html/jetspeed-tab.vm, and then
reference
> the variable in /templates/vm/controls/html/jetspeed-menu.vm?
> More specifically, I have a menu pane, within a tab pane.  And from
my menu
> template, I would like to know which tab is selected in the tab
template.
> I've discovered within the menu template, the $tabs variables
specifies the
> tabs in the menu pane.  However, is it possible to save the selected
tab in
> the jetspeed-tab.vm and then reference it in the jetspeed-menu.vm?

It sounds like a reasonable thing to do, so i expect there is a way to
do it.  However, this does not appear to be a velocity question so
much as a jetspeed question.  Velocity renders templates with whatever
Context it is given.  if the same context is used for multiple
templates, then subsequent templates will have access to the same
context variables as those merged prior to them.  I suggest asking
this question on a jetspeed list.

Nathan Bubna
nathan@esha.com