velocity-user mailing list archives

From mailmur <mail...@yahoo.com>
Subject Win2k Notepad and UTF-8 files BOM mark?
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 20:25:33 GMT
[tomcat4.18/jdk14.1/win2k/velocity 1.3.1]
I'm not sure whether this belongs here but I've
encountered it in Velocity engine anyway.

I have UTF-8 saved templates, but then every generated
page has extra ? character at the start of output.

This is what I found out, and yes hexeditor displays 3
extra bytes at start:
"the three UTF-8 bytes (0xEF 0xBB 0xBF) as the Unicode
Byte-Order Mark (BOM). Win notepad puts a BOM on front
of a file if you tell it to save as UTF-8 or UTF... "

I've put "input.encoding=UTF-8" param to
Velocity.properties.

Is it that, I should use another utf-8 texteditor
instead of Win2k Notepad?