velocity-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Hoffmann <dh.replies...@web.de>
Subject Re: Template inheritance
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 11:47:57 GMT
Bill Chmura wrote:

>If your master template has all the elements that will be needed, you
>could just have your dervived templates set some variables to populate
>it using a #set then a #parse to include the whole master template.
>
>I don't think that gets you where you want to go, but it could get you
>half way... You could abstract some of it out.  I have not tried to
>throw a lot of html into a set, but the theory works I think...

Hi Bill,

thanks for your tip.

I tried it with #parse. But instead of #set I use #macro ( PLACEHOLDER )
to get around the syntactical restrictions of #set. Macro definitions
can take HTML fragments as they are. The references (=placeholders) then
become macro calls. This is very close to what I intended.

cheers
Dirk