velocity-user mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: security audit
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:56:40 GMT
Jonathan Revusky wrote:
>> Nope, service providers will not deploy velocity if it is not safe!
>

> FWIW, it seems like a non-issue to me. A security-conscious ISP would
> only let java servlets run in a sandbox and the same security
> restrictions that apply to the servlets would apply to the Velocity (or
> FreeMarker or any other) templates that the servlet makes use of.

As an example of a service provider, we have selected velocity as the
templating engine because of the ease that it integrates with our Java
architecture (mainly over PHP).  I'd rather not get into sandboxing
since we are not exposing Java or any true programming capabilities...
just some basic templating and scripting.

So I would be interested in being able to lock-down velocity so that
authors (our customers) cannot do bad things.

--
Serge Knystautas
President