velocity-user mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC open sourced on dev.java.net
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:11:32 GMT
Peter Romianowski wrote:
> Funny that Serge is writing here: I've quit using JAMES because he left and
> the development almost stopped at that point. (They are doing better now,
> though I think).

Heh, yeah things were dead for a while with James.  I would say we're
not quite a template for success yet, but since James was promoted to a
TLP, we're doing much better.  Regular monthly releases, tons of
discussion, improved documentation, a new article on IBM's devnet this
week, just added a new committer last week with more upcoming... things
have really turned around in James.

So yeah, I've very much been a part of an open source project with a
decent community where development goes dark for a while.  Certainly not
the end of the road.  I would say to Geir that I hardly do any coding
for James anymore but instead just basically foster the community (as
PMC chairman).  And I love it!

I would think if there's interest, Velocity could propose to the board
to become a TLP.  You've got the community, the maturity, the
adoption... if you have the interest, I think you just need to work a
bit on some future direction and what you could do different as a TLP.
And given Jonathan's points about what new developments have been
happening in other projects, I think there is some ideas... aside from
the templating features and integration, IDE extensions, you've already
got a rich list of Velocity related projects that could become other
subprojects.  Just a thought... not trying to volunteer anyone to the task.

--
Serge Knystautas
President