velocity-user mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC open sourced on dev.java.net
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:46:44 GMT
Peter Romianowski wrote:
> I'll have a look at the "new" James... ;)

Cool.  I think you'll find the software and the docs much improved.

>> I would think if there's interest, Velocity could propose to the board
>> to become a TLP.  You've got the community, the maturity, the
>

> Oh no. That would not make any difference. The first thing that this
> project
> would ne is an *active* comitter-team and perhaps an *active* head.
> Becoming
> a TLP would not change the situation.

I have to admit I was incredibly cynical about James' viability when we
were made a TLP.  I'm not even sure why the promotion happened... a few
well intending members (mainly Danny and Noel), who then made me PMC
chair mainly as an honorary.  For me, if a project like Avalon was
getting promoted, we certainly should follow suit.  We were merely
apathetic and cynical, not a project filled with civil wars.

However, the promotion gave me (and others) a real sense of
responsibility and somehow changed our attitude.  It was also some new
and different responsibilities and issues, so the change helped
psychologically.

So we did a bit more work, which lead to some new contributors, and now
committers.  I am honestly contributing as little to James time-wise as
at any time (my company is even still running a hacked 1.5 year old
version of James that's missing hundreds of bug fixes and performance
improvements).  However, the community attitude got changed in becoming
a TLP, and I spend my time fostering the community instead of dev plans
or anything technical.  Again, I'm not quite ready to call us a poster
child, but I think the James community has really made an amazing
turn-around.

> I don't know if you monitor the dev-list too, but there have been
> discussions
> over months about new features and future developments. We even started
> working
> out a development plan (together with Geir btw.) but the result is:
> ABSOLUTELY
> NOTHING. Geir left again and the project is dead. I know there are other
> comitters - but they do nothing. Don't get me wrong: I don't "blame"
> anybody
> for anything, if a comitter doesn't have the time or interest anymore it's
> ok for him to stop contributing. It's open source. And if noone is doing
> anything and noone is there to take care then there should be a new person
> handling things. Better a bunch of persons.
> And becoming a TLP (btw. who would speak to the board? Here is noone...)
> would
> not change anything.

I'm not on velocity-dev, and I hope I'm not coming across as telling the
Velocity community what you should do.  I'm just trying to share what
did happen with James in case some find it relevant.

Like I think you said, it's not a question of missing features in
Velocity... it works great for me too (aside from the recent security
thread).  I think it's more a question of taking Velocity in new
directions.  I would think finding new people interested in contributing
and involving them could help address that without overly taxing the
original developer base.

--
Serge Knystautas
President