velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC open sourced on dev.java.net
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:38:18 GMT

On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 01:23 PM, Peter Romianowski wrote:

> I don't know if you monitor the dev-list too, but there have been
> discussions
> over months about new features and future developments. We even
> started working
> out a development plan (together with Geir btw.) but the result is:
> ABSOLUTELY
> NOTHING. Geir left again and the project is dead. I know there are
> other
> comitters - but they do nothing. Don't get me wrong: I don't "blame"
> anybody
> for anything, if a comitter doesn't have the time or interest anymore
> it's
> ok for him to stop contributing. It's open source. And if noone is
> doing
> anything and noone is there to take care then there should be a new
> person
> handling things. Better a bunch of persons.
> And becoming a TLP (btw. who would speak to the board? Here is
> noone...) would
> not change anything.

It wouldn't.  What we need to do is get some more people involved.
I'll be the first to take responsibility for what's happening, and
because I really do adore and depend on Velocity, I'm again willing to
do what I can to get things moving again with the intent of re-building
the active developer group, bringing needed features into the core, and
resume being a conservative pain-in-the-ass for keeping it simple.

FWIW, I had to disappear again because of work, but that's changing.  I
had one of those perspective-altering life-moments - there is now a
2-week-old daughter, Alexandra Lauren Magnusson, who has caused me to
re-evaluate my life.  I understand anyone who doesn't believe me, given
my last 'touch and go', but I have to tell you that I live in a
different world than I did on May 28th, 2003.

The only way to fix this will be baby steps, I suspect, and I'm willing
to sign up to help get that going.

I have lots of mail to review, and know I'm behind, but think that the
1.4-rc, add map support and finish off the numerics will make an
excellent start.

Also, I'll be in the SF/Palo Alto area monday night, and would love to
meet up with anyone who is interested in wine and a chat.

geir

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)