velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Revusky <...@revusky.com>
Subject Re: Melati 0.7.0 released
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:53:23 GMT
Tim Pizey wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  Melati 0.7.0 is available from http://www.melati.org/
>  This release enables user locale detection and a major
> overhaul of the code quality, and generated code style,
> following a style audit using http://maven.apache.org/ and
> http://www.eclipse.org/

Tim, it's good to clean up the code, of course, but what I think you
really need to do is to write some docs. I downloaded Melati 2 years
ago, I think, and my initial impression was that it simply had no
documentation. And I just looked again, I see no change on that front.

I mean, I know there are some docs, but you really need some kind of
introductory tutorial that assumes very little prior knowledge on the
part of the user -- page templates, servlets, database queries... assume
little or no prior knowledge.

Even just now, browsing your javadoc API, it seems incredibly sparse. I
would suggest that you at least put a package.html file in your various
source directories that outlines what the purpose of that package is.

I see a huge amount of work there, and it probably is good, but I don't
think that the typical person looking for a web app framework even has a
fighting chance of mastering the tool as things stand now. I mean, do
you have any user base outside of your immediate group of collaborators?

Best Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker-Velocity comparison page: http://freemarker.org/fmVsVel.html

FreeMarker 2.3pre2 is out!