velocity-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org>
Subject Re: Using FM to implement a denial of service attack on an emailing list
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:04:33 GMT
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:06:01PM -0400, Bill Chmura wrote:

> Point #1 : even if someone was banned, it is too easy for them to just
> come up with another email address and start babbling on and on again.
> Next thing you know you have a full time job tracking these down.

So keep banning him.  He will give up before we do, becase we have
more of an interest in maintaining this community than he does in
wrecking it.

> Point #2 : Just think of the PR he would get out of that one... Apache
> Jakarta Velocity mailing list kicks user off for pointing out problems
> in project.  I am sure it would be everywhere.

This is simply a question of spin.  I propose calling it like it is:
Jonathan Revusky was banned from velocity-user for being an ass.  If
someone wants more explanation, the archives are readily available.

> I think Will's concept of not participating is the only viable recourse.

I've been around here for several years now, and I've seen multiple
cycles of this.  Ignoring him will not work - there are always
enough newbies showing up to kick off a new cycle of flame wars.  It
would be necessary to set up an auto-responder that automatically
follows up every JR post with an administrative announcement
explaining who JR is and why his posts must be ignored.

Please, just boot the guy.  It doesn't matter if he is deliberately
trying to deliver an alt.syntax.tactical-type attack on this community
or if he just suffers from some sort of socially-debilitating mental
illness.  We will all be better off without his "contribution".

Jeff Schnitzer
jeff@infohazard.org