velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Claude Brisson" <cla...@savoirweb.com>
Subject Re: Velocity + Database
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:55:45 GMT
Interesting thread, indeed.

Hibernate is for sure a great piece of work, I almost choosed to use it before I finally choose
to develop velosurf.

The main reasin is I did not want the inherant complexity brought up by the persistence. Today
confusers are so speed that making
direct accesses to the database is not so heavy, also considering you can do a lot with some
dummy hash caching at clever places.
Also, Velosurf is more lightweight and meant to be use with the Velocity view layer. But I'm
sure there's still some ideas I could
borrow from Hibernate.

Aaron, bad boy ;-), I suspect you did not yet check out Velosurf, it has many of the features
you are requesting :
 - no need to recompile java on any database change
 - you can define objects, properties and methods in the xml file that gathers sql (except
that the terminology is
"entities,attributes & actions"), and then choose to inherit them with your own java classes

If you still think Velosurf is not approriate in regard of your needs, please let me know
why

@+

CloD