velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com>
Subject Re: POLL: null context attribute values
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:33:30 GMT
Please, don't add it so it breaks existing templates.  Backward
compatibility is a development and design principle that's far more
significant than "least surprise."  Myself, I've got literally hundreds of
templates, some of which are used only occasionally, that such a change may
cause not to work right.

And there's a real rub with this kind of change, if I understand it right,
in that you may not know right away that the behavior is changed.  I do
understand the desire to make things work nicely with new templates, but
there is always the problem of those that invested (perhaps heavily) in the
"old way."  (If the consequences of the change on existing templates is
really obvious - maybe not the case here -  and there's a global way to - at
least temporarily - revert back to the "old way", maybe that's OK.)

Regards,

Terry