velocity-user mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Empty reply from server from time to time (Stacktrace attatched)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:41:00 GMT

On Jan 7, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Hans Schmid wrote:

> Hi Geir,
>
> I just found another NPE in the logfile:
>

> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.velocity.io.VelocityWriter.write(VelocityWriter.java:358)

ASTReference is passing a null into write() in the VelocityWriter,
resulting in a NPE.  I'll fix the bug in VelocityWriter so it doesn't
throw an NPE, but this would certainly kill the page render.  It
doesn't explain the other stacktrace though, although it may be a
different issue.

>         at
> org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReferenc
> e.jav
> a:301)
>         at

And I see who is passing the null, but I'm not sure why.  it's related
to a reference being null valued - It's trying to do a $<foo> into the
output stream...

So we'll fix both.  For now, you can patch the VelocityWriter code to
not throw the NPE (get the 1.3.1 branch), or we can.  But that still
doesn't solve the core problem with the reference.  Can you send me/the
list the template?

geir

geir@4quarters.com