velocity-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: How to deal with multiple pages (meta-velocity?)
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:40:57 GMT
Friday, August 6, 2004, 2:43:23 PM, walter.van.iterson@philips.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do you generate multiple pages from a single data structure with
> Velocity?
>
> To name a few possibilities:
> - When there are multiple templates, that each lead to 1 target document:
> run Velocity once for each template (Works well when generating J2EE
> Remote / RemoteHome interfaces)
> - When there is a single data structure, that leads to multiple documents:
> iterate the data structure in java source, and run velocity using the same
> template once for each iteration (Works fine, but requires java
> programming)
> - A velocimacro: #nestedMerge($rootObject $templateName $outputFileName),
> that calls a Java method that performs the merge (No experience (yet, this
> one came up while writing this question))
>
> Any other possibilities, experiences, comments?

What I did in a file generator utility that uses another similar
template engine (some of the readers will find out which... ;)), so it
possibly works with Velocity as well: there is a Writer where the output
goes. That Writer is a custom Writer subclass, that has a method to
switch the output file, and that method can be invoked from the
templates with a "tool".

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany