velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <g_dev...@globallyboundless.com>
Subject RE: High Traffic Scenario for Velocity
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:04:31 GMT
not sure what " Velocity just isn't compiled code. " means.

Do you mean serverside java app isn't compiled code, unlike cgi sites that
use compiled c/c++ ?

velocity itself is as compiled as everything else running in the jvm (class
files are the result of a compilation).

So that leaves the templates.  And you already know the AST is cached.
Templates are parsed (not compiled), and only parsed once.  And anecdotal
evidence suggests that Velocity templates whip JSP in the speed department
(even "pre-compiled" JSP's).

Or did you mean "Velocity isn't just compiled code." ?  Cause in that case,
I refer you back to the anecdotal evidence that cached AST whips compiled
code (if that compiled code is your typical JSP).