velocity-user mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <g_dev...@globallyboundless.com>
Subject RE: High Traffic Scenario for Velocity
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:19:17 GMT
In my experience, your assumption is wrong.  I think I've spilled this to
the list before... I once had a small app that I wrote using exclusive
servlets/velocity.  Then I realized I'd created a small app that only *I*
could maintain because no one else knew/loved velocity like I did. I also
needed to start adding graphs to my app, and I went the easy
cewolf/jfreechart route (which requires jsp/taglibs).

Anyways... even on the pages without taglibs (to satisfy those that say
"it's the taglibs"), I found that when I re-wrote my pages as JSP, the pages
were (anecdotally, and completely unofficially with no stats to back it
up).. at least 2-3x slower.

Maybe it was a container issue. maybe the vm could be tweaked. But
regardless, the same app with Velocity as the view layer beat the pants off
the same app with JSP as the view layer (all other things remained equal,
like same server/vm/tomcat version).

YYMV.